It’s not clear why.
On Twitter, Apple CEO Tim Cook said, “Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected by today’s terrible tragedy.”
The search for Chinese workers killed in the devastating earthquake and tsunami in the wake of Typhoon Haiyan has turned up hundreds of workers from Japan, the United States and Europe, and some estimates put the number as high as 1,000, CNN is reporting.
Some of those in the country have been in China for the last year and most appear to have returned home without injuries or even serious injuries.
But there is still a lot of uncertainty, according to one expert.
“What we have is a country of about 6.3 million people. There are about two million who were working overseas in the same period of time. That leaves about 450,000 who are unaccounted for,” said Daniel C. Davis, president and chief executive at a Chicago consulting firm, Davis Partners. “It’s a huge number and, if we’re not careful, we’re going to start with a huge number of deaths.”
A spokesperson for the Japanese Foreign Ministry, however, said Monday that more than 1,200 foreign workers there have been notified that they may have been killed.
“Unfortunately, we have received the information that at least five Japanese nationals who are in China may have died as a result of the storm,” said the ministry’s director general of communications, Hiroshi Ishii.