The new case, which was confirmed in November, was a man who recently travelled to Germany and is believed to have acquired the virus from a relative.
When this type of coronavirus is suspected, the Canadian Vector Control Association’s Surveillance Program will release a warning to local residents.
It’s not clear if the newly reported case is the same as the previous one in which it was first identified in December, which saw eight confirmed infections in Canada, one each in Saskatchewan and Quebec.
The new suspected case did not appear to be from Ontario or Quebec, though, because it was first reported in the U.S. “For the time being, we’re not at liberty to say definitively if it’s the same case as the current Wuhan case, but I could say it’s pretty close,” Dr. Steven Agrasen, associate professor of microbiology and immunology at the University of Minnesota, told CBC News.
Agrasen said the earlier case was reported to the Ontario Department of Public Health as being a Canadian resident but was later confirmed to be of European descent. This additional outbreak could involve one or more individuals who have travelled to Germany or other countries that have had cases of the disease, experts are cautioning.
“A lot of us would like to have a high outbreak as far as we can control it,” Agrasen said.
That includes looking at a different source of infection for the virus, but so far all those possibilities are being explored, he told CBC News.
Public health officials and infectious disease experts are trying to determine the source of the disease and how it spread.
In the Wuhan outbreak, infection rates was high from at least May 23 through August 14, 2013, which was a period in which people in the area of north China that’s being examined for the disease have been particularly affected by it, Agrasen said. “That’s when they did this pandemic.”